Monday, February 3, 2014

#3 Connection Between Intact Marriages and Academic Success

Research shows Correlation Between Intact Marriages and Academic Success

The article I read regarding the connection between marriage and academic success speaks to the idea that the children of intact families preform better academically.  Research shows that children from intact families have higher math, science and reading test scores than children from "disrupted families."  Research also shows that children from intact families have higher academic expectations placed on them by their parents and supervision of their schoolwork as opposed to children from non-intact families.  The article explains some of the benefits for children in intact families such as finishing high school and college, the motivation to do well and not being expelled or suspended from school in comparison to children from disrupted families.
I chose this article because I think it further supports my last post on the benefits an intact marriage has on children in the world today.  I agree with the information given about the effects parent's marriage can have on children based on observation of people around me.  I also believe that these benefits and consequences should be looked into more by adults and parents because the actions of parents to not get married, separate, or divorce can have a profound effect on their children in the future.

1 comment:

  1. 2. I agree with your idea of marriage and family intact with children! The actions of the parents definitely affect the children and their attitudes towards life in the future. If they divorce, it will affect the children greatly because this has happened to a member in my dad's side of the family. My cousin had a big change in her life because she didn't know how to act otherwise since her parents divorced. Having a family close to each other with a strong bond helps the family greatly.

    ReplyDelete